Thursday, September 24, 2009

My first Blog

So, I put relationships in my list of interests.  This may generate more "interest" than I was counting on.

The truth is that I am interested in how we function in groups, treat one another in our daily interactions and generally make it through our days in a world full of people.  I'm not so concerned with romantic relationships (though I've had one for over 20 years with my husband!).  I'm more fascinated by the interplay between my employees, the dynamic between the family groups who come in to my shop and the great opportunity I have every day to people watch.

Recently I've been reminded that I went in to the business of paint-your-own-pottery and fuse-your-own-glass not just because it is a great creative environment and really fun.  I built this business because I wanted there to be a place that was an escape from every day life, where memories can be made and relaxing can happen.  There are no clocks at Uniquely Yours (at least that customers can see). It is the signal to leave your troubles at the door and come in, sit, relax, let us serve you and help you create a memory.

People have healed in my space.  I LOVE that!  I see the faces of two of my young friends whose father died in a car crash.  Mom brought them in not long after as part of their way of being able to talk to one another about missing him and wishing he were still here.  Mom came to us a couple of months ago and said "I just want you to know, this place was a very important part of our healing".  Just last week a young woman said "This place is going to help me get through my divorce".  That is the power of a relaxing activity where no one judges you and allows your inner child to jump out and play.

I've heard countless times "This is so relaxing....and cheaper than therapy!"  Well, there is tangible and intangible value.  In addition to the memories you make, you get a "something" to keep.  It could be a baby footprint tile, a glass frame, a special mug you use all the time, a wedding plate or countless other items and YOU MAKE THEM YOURSELF!  That is the tangible.  The intangible is the sense of relaxation and peace that playing with colors, painting with a brush or just hanging and having a good cup of coffee with friends can provide. Taking time to nurture your creative brain, even if you don't think you have one, is one of the countless ways we can take better care of ourselves.

I'll be reflecting on other aspects of being a mom, wife and business owner.  The busy part of my life is starting to creep in so I think I need to take a dose of my own medicine. In fact...I think I need to go play with something artsy...it'll make me feel good!

No comments:

Post a Comment